Friday, June 25

Mad Girl’s Love Song

Sylvia Plath

I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

The stars go waltzing out in blue and red,
And arbitrary blackness gallops in:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed
And sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

God topples from the sky, hell’s fires fade:
Exit seraphim and Satan’s men:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I fancied you’d return the way you said,
But I grow old and I forget your name.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

I should have loved a thunderbird instead;
At least when spring comes they roar back again.
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

---

I was looking for a challenging declamation piece this morning when I came across this site which featured the piece above.

The month of June had been cruel to me. I went through a series of heartbreaks, two of which tested my sanity.

For the most recent heartbreak which I am hoping would be the last for this month or for this year (whatever), I dedicate the piece above. Soon, I would be creating an original entry for that but because my stomach is being very cooperative today (I love sarcasms), I would have to make do with Plath's work for now.

8 comments:

  1. plath is too cruel. don't allow her to speak for u. u know she offed herself in the oven right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didnt know that. now i do.. i will do my research. don't worry, it will just be this one piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. carry lang naman. wag mo lang gayahin. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah. my 'Oh' moment came after reading this. "Plath took her own life after she completely sealed the rooms between herself and her sleeping children with "wet towels and cloths."[17] Plath then placed her head in the oven while the gas was turned on[18] and the pilot light was not lit. The next day an inquiry ruled that her death was a suicide."

    ReplyDelete
  5. crap diba. her husband's a pretty good writer din. but it's sylvia na i fell in love with talaga.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah. i'm reading some of her poems right now. i take back what i said before.. i need a declamation piece for my speech class.. since all the famous pieces are already taken and some of my classmates are reciting poems naman, i will recite 'lady lazarus' by plath. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good job! dapat todo emotion ha tapos sa ending, mag-GA to SK ka. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha yeah! i'll try to sound convincing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers